If this is your first time attending you might need a few tips on how to survive and get through the day.
I have compiled a survival kit based on my 2017 experiences at the Durban July.
- Pack a mini makeup kit with essentials like, powder, lipstick or lip gloss, eye pencil and facial wipes.
- Get there nice and early so you can find a good spot to sit comfortably and enjoy the day.
- Bring a jacket or a coat along as the evening can get quite chilly.
- The grass can damage and dirty your new pair of heels, so its advisable to bring neutral pair of flat shoes to change into later on.
- Make sure you wear enough sunscreen under your makeup.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day to keep you hydrated and from getting too tipsy
- If you plan on attending any of the after parties, make sure you have a decent meal to avoid driving around later at night looking for food.
- Make sure your cellphone and camera is fully charged to ensure enough selfies for the day.
- Uber is the safest way to get yourself to and from the racecourse and in and around the busy city center.
- Lastly, Pace yourself! I’ve seen girls pass out before 8pm and its not ladylike to have your friends or partner carry you out the marquee.
The Durban July experience can either be a very memorable weekend or it can be one big disaster so Be responsible, Have fun and most importantly be safe!